The Iowa Review is hosting a contest open to veterans and active duty personnel writing in any genre – poems, plays, short stories, novels – and about any subject matter.
The only exception is that current students, faculty, or staff of the University of Iowa are not eligible to enter.
The Jeff Sharlet Memorial Award for Veterans is made possible by a donation from his family. Sharlet (1942–69) was a Vietnam veteran and antiwar writer and activist.
- Judge: Robert Olen Butler
- Prize: $1,000 plus publication in The Iowa Review
- Deadline: June 15, 2012
- Entry fee: $15
- Manuscripts: double-spaced and up to 20 pages
- Unpublished: work cannot have been previously published
- Submissions: can be online or via mail
Finalists will be selected by editors at the Iowa Review and the judge will determine the winner. You will find full details, rules and eligibility information HERE.