More than 300 search and rescue dogs and their handlers responded to ground zero after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. They were there to help hours after the buildings collapsed and in the months that followed.
One of those dogs was Trakr who found the last survivor among the rubble of the Twin Towers on the morning of Sept. 12, 2001. Many of the handlers recall – the dogs didn’t seem “ruffled at all” by the devastation, but instead many were anxious to get to work looking for survivors.
The search and rescue dogs also served as therapy dogs for the hundreds of firefighters and police who spent countless hours searching for the remains of their colleagues.
The 9/11 American Hero Dogs that have passed since:
- Trakr – March 1993 to April 2009
- Roselle – March 1998 to June 2011
- Sirius – March 1997 to Sept. 11, 2001
- Kinsey – Ma7 1999 to Jan. 2007
- Jenner – Sept. 1992 to June 2004
- Abby – Oct. 1997 to Sept. 2011
Below is a video tribute to the dogs and their handlers by American Hero Dog: