The Blue Star Families blog has five essential tips to send a memorable box of goodies to your loved one overseas. And they throw in some ideas on popular gifts.
- Send them holiday traditions. Pack up a DVD of the family’s favorite holiday movie such as It’s A Wonderful Life, or a family favorite holiday food like fruitcake or special cookies.
- Check the country’s list of prohibited goods. The military has an agreement to not ship prohibited foods for certain countries. For example in the Middle East or Persian Gulf areas, you should not send anything that would offend people of the Islamic faith, including pork or pork by-products, obscene material, and alcohol.
- Take care when packing. Some foods may spoil before they reach their destination and chocolate items melt if being mailed to a hotter climate.
- Check shipping dates. The United States Postal Service suggests for priority packages and letters to mail by Dec. 10, 2015 or Dec. 3 for AE ZIP 093.
- Send something to share. Deployed troops live, work and survive as teams. So, send enough cookies for their team. Some families even send personalized stockings for team members.