Field Of Honor Ceremony For Military Killed In Last 3 Months

The Field of Honor where names of the fallen are etched at the Hillsborough Veterans Memorial Park.

The Veterans Council of Hillsborough County holds a brief ceremony every three months to read aloud the names of the fallen and to mark their contribution and sacrifice in the fight against terrorism. To be recognized on Jan. 13, 2018, are those who were killed in October, November, and December of 2017:

  • Four personnel killed during Operation Inherent Resolve (Iraq, Syria and Yemen)
  • Four personnel killed during Operation Freedom’s Sentinel (Afghanistan)
  • Three sailors lost in a C-2A Greyhound transport plane in the Philippine Sea
  • Four Special Forces soldiers killed in Niger
  • 74 previously unidentified remains of military members from World War II, Korea, and Vietnam (military personnel formerly listed as missing-in-action now identified through advancements in mitochondrial DNA research).

The tribute also will include law enforcement officers lost in the line of duty.

The ceremony is planned Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018 at 10 a.m. at Veterans Memorial Park and Rear Admiral LeRoy Collins, Jr. Veterans Museum, 3602 U.S. Highway 301 N., Tampa, FL.

Plans for the public event include a banner presentation by Blue Star Mothers of Tampa Bay Inc., the Buffalo Soldiers Motorcycle Club color guard, Missing Man Formation flyover by Ye Mystic Airkrewe, Gold Star Families, patriotic music by Cody Palmer/VFW Post 8108, and a traditional rifle salute and taps by the Sgt. Walter P. Ryan Detachment 1226 Marine Corps League of Riverview.

Details are available by calling the Veterans Memorial Park and Museum at (813) 744-5502 or (813) 246-3170.

Advertisements

US Central Command: Civilians Killed In Yemen Raid

yemen_map_centcomThere were civilian casualties that may include children during the U.S. military raid in Yemen Jan. 29, 2017 which also killed Navy Seal Team Chief Special Warfare Operator William “Ryan” Owens according to a statement from U.S. Central Command.

“Al-Qa’ida in the Arabian Peninsula has a horrifying history of hiding women and children within militant operating areas and terrorist camps, and continuously shows a callous disregard for innocent lives,” said Col. John J. Thomas, U.S. Central Command spokesman.

Officials add that “valuable intelligence” was gathered from materials seized during the Yemen raid that also wounded three U.S. service members.

One Dead, Four Wounded, Plane Lost During Yemen Raid

centcomlogoA U.S. ground raid against al-Qa’ida in Yemen on Jan. 28, 2017 resulted in the death of a service member and wounding of four more in two different instances, according to a release from U.S. Central Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Tampa.

But the operation did resulted in an estimated 14 al-Qa’ida members being killed and the gathering of information and insight into possible, future terror attacks.

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of one of our elite servicemembers,” said Commander of U.S. Central Command Gen. Joseph Votel. “The sacrifices are very profound in our fight against terrorists who threaten innocent peoples across the globe.”

Three U.S. service members were hurt during the raid and another was injured during the landing of an aircraft.

The release stated that the “military aircraft assisting in the operation experienced a hard landing at a nearby location, resulting in an additional U.S. injury.”

The military intentionally destroyed the plane where it landed after it was determined it could not fly.

The name of the service member killed in action is being withheld pending next of kin notification.

%d bloggers like this: